Work when you want - flexible days and hours!
Work where you want - chose your schools, grades and type of assignments!
Support our students as a district substitute. Embrace flexibility, inspire young minds, and earn money. Passion and a positive spirit are all you need to make a difference today!
Be a hero for students and teachers alike! We're looking for substitute classroom aides, custodians, groundskeepers, food service workers, clerical staff, and licensed bus drivers.
If you're passionate about education and hold a bachelor's degree or higher and would like to substitute teach, we welcome you to join us.
Come to our sub fair on Friday, September 1st in the district office Board Room to learn more about our opportunities to sub. The meeting will start promptly at 9:00 a.m.
Additional meetings will be held on 10/5, 11/3, 12/1, 1/5, 2/1, and 3/1, if you cannot make this one.
Substitute Teacher Salary:
The rate of pay for substitute teachers is:
- Daily rate: $240 per day; $200 bonus after each 20 full-day assignments; $120/half-day rate
- $285/day beginning day the 20th consecutive day of long-term assignments less than 90 days
- $378/day for assignments of 90 days or more consecutive days
- $300/day for retired Moreland teachers
The rate of pay for classified substitutes varies based on a range of positions. There are a variety of classified substitute positions available, including:
- Para-Professional / Teacher Assistant (Preschool through 8th grade)
- Food Service
- Activity Leader
- Bus Driver
To apply, contact the Classified Sub Coordinator at (408) 874-2944.
Complete the Classified Employment Application linked below.
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER PERMIT
In order to be a substitute teacher in Santa Clara County, you will need to obtain an Emergency 30-day Substitute Teacher Permit from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing. This permit is valid for one year and is renewable.
- Fingerprint for the Commission on Teacher Credentialing if you have not already done so. Moreland will pay for this for Moreland subs who fingerprint at Moreland only. Please use livescan form 41-ls https://www.ctc.ca.gov/docs/default-source/leaflets/41-ls.pdf?sfvrsn=a1c12202_39, You may go to any local fingerprinting agency with this form and they will deliver your fingerprint results directly to the Commission.
- Register at the SCCOE website: https://credentials.sccoe.org/credregistration.aspx
- Go to www.ctc.ca.gov to create an educator account, be sure your name is exactly as listed on your Social Security card.
- Order an official electronic transcript showing proof of bachelor’s degree or higher delivered conferred from a regionally accredited College or University directly to SCCOE Credential Services at [email protected]. *See below for foreign transcripts.
- Official transcripts must be original and have the Registrar’s signature and/or University Seal affixed
- No photocopies, pdfs, or web printouts
- Electronic transcripts must be sent to [email protected] from the University to be considered official.
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation if the degree is from another country. (For a list of the agencies approved by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing to evaluation out of country transcripts (https://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/foreign-transcript-evaluation-
PLEASE NOTE: If you are only interested in substitute teaching, a summary evaluation is sufficient. However, if you think you may want to pursue a teaching career in the future, you should request the course-by-course evaluation
- Email your basic skills (BSR) results to [email protected], such as CBEST, SAT, ACT… or request a BSR waiver. Recent legislation SB1397 is waiving the basic skills requirement effective 1/1/2023 to 6/30/2024. If you require an evaluation of coursework to satisfy basic skills we will need all of your official transcripts in addition to your bachelor’s or higher degree. The basic skills requirement for a substitute teacher permit has been waived until 06/30/2024.
- FEES: On-line payment will be required in the amount of $102.65 payable with credit card; after we submit your recommendation you will receive an email with instructions to complete the payment process.
When these steps are complete send an email to [email protected] and they will submit your recommendation to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing electronically. They will notify you of the recommendation and send you instructions to complete the process.
*If you have a foreign transcript, it must be evaluated by an approved agency from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing list here (https://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/foreign-transcript-evaluation-). Submit your original foreign transcript evaluation report with US equivalent bachelor’s degree to the SCCOE and they will scan it into their electronic files and return the original to you. Please include your name, address and email and note that it is for a substitute permit. Foreign transcript evaluation reports must be mailed or dropped in their drop box.
The SCCOE has a drop box available on the Brokaw Road side of the building. The box is labeled MC 255. The box is available Monday - Friday 8am-4:30pm, CLOSED on HOLIDAYS.
If you can’t access our drop box you can mail everything to:
Santa Clara County Office of Education
1290 Ridder Park Drive
San Jose, CA 95131
MC 255 Attn: Credential Services
Should you have any additional questions or concerns regarding the application for a 30-day Substitute Permit, please email [email protected] and please write “Sub Permit Application” in the subject line of your email.