The Moreland School District's Wellness Policy is meant to inspire and empower a shift in culture that will increase healthy eating and physical activity among our students by creating environments that support healthy choices.
The Board of Trustees recognizes the link between student health and learning and desires to provide a comprehensive program promoting healthy eating and physical activity for district students. To meet this goal, the District will support student wellness through health education, physical education and activity, health services, nutrition services, psychological and counseling services, and a safe and healthy school environment.
Goals for Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Other Wellness Activities
The Board of Trustees adopts goals for nutrition promotion and education, physical activity, and other school-based activities that promote student wellness.
Click below to download a printer-friendly version of the adopted Wellness Policy, BP 5030:
Food and Nutrition Highlights from Moreland's Wellness Policy:
- All non-compliant Smart Snack food items cannot be served or sold from 12:01AM until 30 minutes after school.
- To ensure students are nourished with a proper meal, classroom parties with Smart Snack compliant food will be scheduled only after lunchtime.
- All food and beverages marketed or promoted to students on the school campus during the school day must meet or exceed the USDA Smart Snacks standards. This may include:
- Advertisements in school publications or school mailings
- Free product samples, taste tests or coupons of a product, or free samples displaying advertising of a product
- Food and beverage marketing often includes oral, written or graphic statements.
- California Food Act requires a permit for all home prepared foods. Moreland School District cannot serve any home baked food products to students at any time for liability reasons. MEF and Home and School Clubs can serve prepared foods after the school day or on weekends.
- Classroom celebrations must be Smart Snack compliant and served after Lunch is served. Non Food celebrations can occur any time during the school day. Here are some non-food celebration ideas for the classroom: