San Jose, May 9, 2019: Music in Moreland (MiM), along with the Moreland School District, are thrilled to announce that the Latimer Middle School Symphonic Orchestra and Easterbrook Discovery Middle School (EDMS) Symphonic Band, Symphonic Strings and Jazz Band each placed first place in their categories at the Music in the Parks Festival on Saturday, April 27, 2019. In addition, EDS was honored with this year’s Esprit de Corps award, given to the group that shows respect for other competitors, is cooperative with the staff and officials at the competition, and demonstrates a great attitude.
These two Moreland schools competed against several middle schools throughout the region at Milpitas High School, host of the festival. In addition to the EDMS students, led by Music Teachers Rebecca Ayer and Nils Johnson, Latimer Middle School students, led by Nils Johnson, participated in their second Music in the Parks competition. Both EDMS and Latimer music students received the following ratings at an awards ceremony held at California’s Great America:
- EDMS Jazz Band: 1st Place with a Superior Rating, and Overall Award for Best Junior High or Middle School Jazz Band
- EDMS Symphonic Band: 1st Place with a Rating of Superior
- EDMS Symphonic Strings: 1st Place with a Rating of Superior
- Latimer Symphonic Orchestra, Division A: 1st Place with an Excellent Rating
Music in the Park hosts a series of weekend festivals that bring together school groups from around the Bay Area at a grand performance, followed by an awards ceremony. Latimer’s and Easterbrook Discovery Middle School’s musicians competed against 16 schools from around the region, including 10 middle schools.
Join us this month for upcoming Spring Concerts from Moreland’s award-winning music programs:
- Thursday, May 16, 2019, 7:00PM: District Honor Orchestra/Band in the Moreland Community Center Gym
- Monday, May 20, 2019, 6:00PM: Easterbrook Discovery Middle School Concert in the EDS Quad
- Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 2:00PM: Latimer Middle School Concert in the Latimer MU Room
- Thursday, May 23, 2019, 7:00PM: Moreland Middle School Concert in the Moreland Community Center Gym
Moreland School District is proud to be home to budding and thriving student musicians. With the leadership of Music in Moreland (MiM), a subcommittee of the Moreland Education Foundation (MEF), parents and community members dedicate their time to sustaining Moreland’s award-winning music program. For more information on Music in Moreland, visit www.mefhome.org/music-in-moreland/